Dingaling Dingaling

Writen by Jan Verhoeff

Perfunctorily ringing, the phone starts my day with an incessant ring. I'm not ready for the morning yet, but I paste a smile on my face and pick up the receiver.

Customer #1 - Good morning Jan, I need a business plan written up ASAP, got a pen?

Me - No, but what cha want in it?

Customer #1 - The usual, I can email details, but I'd like to have it by Friday.

Me - Well, this is Thursday and you aren't at the top of my list, but if you'll get me an email, I'll see what I can do.

(My eyeballs just rolled right out of my head - and I'm thinking about how much I have to get through that day.)

Customer #1 - Great. I'm emailing as we speak. Call me when you have a time line.

Me - Sure thing. Have a great day!

"That man is loosing his mind!" I speak outloud to no one in particular, as I finish sorting through the morning mail, take another sip of coffee, burn my tongue, and wish I had a huge cinnamon roll with extra gooey frosting to wash that down with; I turn on the computer.

"You have mail" dings across the continent and the international speedway heats up. Life at Jan Verhoeff.com is beating a path to my teeny weeny computer door, and Mr. Customer #1 has sent me a very complete collection of *stuff* for his requested business plan.

I copy/past his text into my processor and start on Customer #2's Performance Reviews. As I beat my head against the green metal desk and stare at the photos of my kids, my reason for working this hard, I think of some bit of something for the Biz Plan and go type it in, returning to the reviews to bang my head some more. In due time, the reviews get banged into submission and my report is completed with much stress and consternation - I really hate sitting in judgement of folks I've never met - why did I accept this position? By the end of the day, the Biz Plan is coming together, I'm formatting, and ready to print a somewhat legible piece of work that will look much better when I get it all in the same type font, sized appropriately, and regimentally organized into a Biz Plan Format.

I save it to a PDF file and transport via email.

Ding-a-ling...

Me - Heya, it's done. It's on the way to ya. Cut me a check and we'll be all squared away. Give me more time next time, would ya?

Customer #1 - You don't know how important this was! Thanks so much. I'll add a little something to the check for your incredible speed. Love ya, girl. Suffer the night - I'll let you know what happens.

Me - Sure sure, I'll believe it when I see it. Good luck with that.

And the job is done. My client alerted me by phone what was coming, and the importance of his project. Email transported information. Details were added. Email returned the project - completed. Phone alerted him to the completion, gave personal contact, provided space for attitude and friendship.

I'm a people person. I work from home, so faces, voices, hugs, chats, and that all too uncommon FRIEND are hard to come by. I appreciate them. The phone is my lifeline. Email is a means of transmitting information and data.

(c) Jan Verhoeff

Brainstorming solutions is what I do best. At least, if I have someone coming up with the solution... Got a problem, call me, email me, or send me a note, but get in touch with Jan. http://wahmco.tripod.com

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds